Direct flight to adventure: Deer Lake is your gateway to epic outdoor experiences
If you’re craving adventure this summer, you might be surprised to learn that world-class hiking, golfing, and history is just a short flight from Fredericton! Hop on a direct flight from Fredericton to Deer Lake with PAL Airlines and explore everything western Newfoundland has to offer!
Three World Heritage Sites
Three of Canada’s 20 UNESCO World Heritage Sites are in Western Newfoundland and Southern Labrador within a few hours’ drive of the Deer Lake Airport.
Gros Morne National Park: explore a place where strange rocks and beautiful landscapes explain how the planet evolved over eons.
L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site: Discover your inner Viking as you explore the site of the oldest known European encampment in North America and hear tales of epic adventures from the Vinland Sagas.
Red Bay National Historic Site: See artifacts that tell the story of the Basque people who produced the whale oil that lit the lamps of renaissance Europe—the first industrial operation in North America.
See Icebergs & Whales… at the same time
Western Newfoundland has the longest iceberg viewing season in the province, which can run from April to August. Take a trip on the Viking Trail, Route 430, to Iceberg Alley and see spectacular ancient icebergs.
Come in early June for the Iceberg Festival, a celebration of coming spring in the north and the annual arrival of icebergs.
Gros Morne National Park
Sure, we mentioned Gros Morne National Park in our first section, but it’s so spectacular it deserves to be here twice! Fjords, mountains, beaches, and phenomenal star-gazing: this national park is truly awe-inspiring.
Make it a Golfing Long Weekend
Western Newfoundland boasts three golf courses within 1-hour of the Deer Lake Airport!
- Humber Valley: this 18-hole, par 72 Championship River Course has dramatic views of Humber Valley, including Deer Lake and the Humber River. In 2021 it was ranked #11 by Score Magazine for the best public golf courses in the country.
- Blomidon: this 18-hole located in the heart of Corner Brook with panoramic views of the city, as well as the Blomidon Mountains and the beautiful Bay of Islands.
- Humber River: a 9-hole course, nestled along the Humber River with tree-lined fairways and small greens, making it a great challenge for experienced golfers.
Epic Hiking on Captain Cook’s Trail, Route 450
Once you’ve landed in Deer Lake, grab your hikers and head west to Corner Brook where you’ll find Captain Cook’s Trail, Route 450. Get ready for some epic hiking with incredible views of the beautiful Bay of Islands:
- Cape Blow Me Down, Lark Harbour: 7km return, hard
- Copper Mine Falls, Lark Harbour: 1km return, easy
- Lark Harbour Head & Governor’s Staircase, Blow Me Down Provincial Park: 5km return, moderate
- Bottle Cove, York Harbour: 2km, easy
- Cedar Cove, York Harbour: 3.5 return, easy
- Southhead Lighthouse, York Harbour: 6km return, hard
Fly direct with PAL Airlines
Head to Deer Lake with an easy, non-stop flight from Fredericton 3 times a week! PAL Airlines flies Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, giving you lots of options to plan the trip that’s perfect for you.