On May 28, the Fredericton International Airport is hosting the second annual YFC Runway Run. The run itself sold out in just 7 weeks, but we want to make sure everyone had a chance to take part in the fun, so once again the Organizing Committee has planned an awesome day filled with activities for everyone!
A full day of fun
- Fredericton’s newest airline WestJet will be on site.
- Ginger Design are bringing back their popular photo booth – get a shot with your medal after the race for free!
- Capital FM will be broadcasting LIVE on site.
- There will be face-painting for the kids (or adults!). It will be by donation, and any funds raised go to CMHA of NB.
- Get active with the Fredericton YMCA.
- Pick up some My Own Hero workout gear (a portion of proceeds from sales at the expo support the Canadian Mental Health Association of New Brunswick)
- Try out the flight simulators.
- Learn morse code!
All proceeds from the YFC Runway Run and family expo activities go to support mental health in our community.
See aircraft up close
The Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (Flight #2) has been busy organizing a static aviation display for the expo! Get to see aircraft up close and talk to the pilots, too.
Although plans can always change at the last minute due to weather (or, in the case of emergency response helicopters/vehicles, if they’re called to assist in an emergency), these are a few of the aircraft & vehicles you can expect to see on the apron May 28:
- Piper PA 140 from the Fredericton Flying Club
- Piper Warrior
- Cessna 182 representing the Civil Air Search and Rescue Association
- Aircraft Rescue Vehicle from 5 CDSB Gagetown (The YFC ARV’s will also be here, but are on duty so will not be accessible to the public)
- Griffon helicopter from 403 Squadron at 5 CDSB Gagetown
- Diamond Eclipse from Moncton Flight College
And, this 1930’s technology radial aircraft engine, which powered the Avenger torpedo bombers during and after WWII will be on hand as well. It was a big hit at last year’s expo, and we’re delighted to have it back for 2016! It was rebuilt to running condition and has been on exhibit in the Eastern Provinces and Maine for various aviation meets and fly ins for the past two years.
- Expo runs 10am – 3pm
- Admission is free
- The public are invited – this is a family-friendly event, so all ages are welcome
- Parking fees are being waived by the Fredericton International Airport; donations to the Canadian Mental Health Association of New Brunswick are encouraged. We encourage carpooling as we expect demand to be high.
- You’ll be able to go airside on the apron – a restricted area that the public do not usually have access to. This is really neat because it means you’ll get to see aircraft up close, and watch the runners as they take off and come back into the finish line! It’s important that no food, liquids, or litter are taken out onto the apron, as any loose objects are a hazard to aircraft. If you drop anything, please pick it up, or if it’s blown away, let one of the staff or volunteers know so that it can be found.
For info and updates on the day of the event, please follow the YFC Runway Run Twitter account. We will be updating that account regularly during the event.
See more photos from last year’s event on the YFC Runway Run Facebook page.